The founders At first, the Brothers of Saint John of Jerusalem established themselves in the rural area of Castelsarrasin. The arrival of the Knights of Saint-Jean intramural in 1216 divides the city into two parishes: Saint-Jean and Saint-Sauveur. In 1530, the Order of Knights became the Order of Malta, as evidenced by the openings of the bell tower and the stained glass of the choir. History 1216: 1st mention of the Church of St. John, founded by the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. 1497: The early church did not resist the onslaught of time, art specialists advocate its reconstruction. 1512: The work is awarded to Jean Gozé. 1560: Presumed end of work (date on the stone inserted in the facade). The nature of the work (total or partial reconstruction) and the reason for such a duration (45 years) are unknown to us. Yet the harmony of the whole and the homogeneity of its apparatus force to believe that the church was rebuilt integrally. 1925: The painter Tarn-et-Garonnais René Gaillard-Lala, adorns the interior with paintings depicting scenes from the Bible as well as important figures of local history and the order of Malta.
Spoken languages : French
From 01/10/2020 to 31/05/2021, daily.
From 01/06 to 30/06/2021, daily.
From 01/07 to 31/08/2021, daily.
From 01/09 to 04/09/2021, daily.
From 06/09 to 11/09/2021, daily.
From 13/09 to 18/09/2021, daily.
From 20/09 to 25/09/2021, daily.
From 27/09 to 30/09/2021, daily.
Prices & payment
Prices not available.